Closing in the tiny house :)
I’m obviously not the best on keeping up with posts, here. So, my apologies for the less-than-regular updates on the progress of the tiny house! I’m working on a very tight time frame – my goal is to get the shell of the house finished (framing, sheathing, siding, windows, roof) done by Aug 15. Why Aug 15? My classes start back then, and I won’t have much time…I’m not looking forward to the days I’ll spend in class daydreaming about what I could be doing with the inside of the tiny house (because obviously, adding personal touches to the inside is probably the coolest part of the whole build!). But I digress. Here is the next installment of my tiny build’s progress…sheathing!
So…the frame was finally (FINALLY!) done, everything is leveled, and now excitement ensues. For the sheathing (plywood or OSB panels) I chose to work with 7/16″ OSB. Why OSB rather than plywood? Well, not only is the price much better (4 x 8 ft OSB panels were 8$, and plywood was about 3 times that price) but due to the makeup of OSB boards, I felt that it might be the better choice for a home that will eventually hurtle down the highway at 70mph. I read a lot on the two choices before going with OSB. Yes, OSB is more prone to expansion if it gets wet. However, Tyvek wrap does much to fix this. Since OSB is made of chips of board glued together (OSB = oriented strand board) as opposed to thin panels glued together, my thought was that IF one of the boards were to crack, it wouldn’t necessarily result in a crack that worked its way down the length of the board. If you disagree, that’s cool. Either way, they’re both good choices. And OSB cuts the overall weight of the structure.
Ok! Enough semi-technical chatter! On with the progress!
So, we moved from fully framed to this stage, and actually got it done over a day and a half!
So, the most frustrating part of this process, by far, was cutting the OSB to fit around the wheel wells. In an attempt to cut down on hair-pulling/screaming/giving up, I bought 2 large pieces of poster paper at Target, and traced around the wheel well before I cut. This gave me a (relatively accurate) template, and though I had to tweak the results (thank god for reciprocating saws) the results are pretty spectacular, in my opinion!
So…once the windows were cut out and the sheathing was finished, it was time to protect the tiny dwelling with Tyvek home wrap. I opted to save money by purchasing the 3′ roll, which was under half of the cost of a typical roll. Not only was it cheaper, but it allowed me to wrap the house with a manageable size of wrap, rather than struggling to control a 9′ high roll of tyvek. To attach, we used staples and tyvek tape along the seams. And then, we were done!
So…the next installment of this fascinating blog will be up soon, as we have moved along to building/finishing the loft sections. I can’t wait to show you the progress on this, and I’m also excited that I can now stand on the top of my tiny structure (the framing held! IT HELD!!!)
See you soon, tiny housers!