Days 9, 10, and 11 – Framing!
So…I decided it’d probably be best to conflate these days into one post, as they all deal with the same thing: the framing of our tiny house walls! YESS! So…it’s finally starting to take shape, which pleases me to no end. We got the annoying sill plate fiasco taken care of, so now all of the plates line up exactly with the subfloor, which will allow us to attach the sheathing past the subfloor to the fascia. This is relatively important, considering that I don’t want the edges of my plywood floor just dangling out into space when I’m driving my li’l home down the highway.
So, as you’ll see in the plethora of pictures below, we’ve completed 3 walls, but cannot raise the right wall until we get the bay (front) wall done. We would have finished this already, but we ran into yet another discrepancy with the Tumbleweed plans. Apparently, this sill plate is to be made with a 5 1/2 x 3 1/4 parallam plate (engineered wood) rather than the 2×4 indicated on the trailer spec sheet. The discrepancies are driving me nuts and costing me cash I can’t really afford…I’d advise shopping around for plans when you get to that point in your tiny house decision – Tumbleweed has the experience, but if you purchase those plans, I’d highly advise viewing the specs as suggestions rather than the rule. In other words…do your own measuring before cutting! (Just trying to save you some trouble! And moolah 🙂
So…enough of that…here’s the first wall…(!!!!!)
And the next day, we finished the second (tongue end) wall. This wall called for a 4×4 top beam, so we had to incorporate Simpson ties to secure the studs to the giant board. When we finished, it felt very stable, but do note that the addition of these ties does add about 1/3 inch height to the back wall. We plan to smooth out this relatively small difference by editing the loft floor by just a tiny bit in the back rather than planing down the treated 4×4 (never sand a treated board! new knowledge imparted to me, and now passed along to you!)
<- Working on the back wall framing 🙂 And yes. I’m still forgoing a nail gun for a hammer. Have I explained this choice before? Probably. (I’m trying to get buff, people. That, and ring-shank nails shot incorrectly into framing by a first-time nail gun user do NOT come out…leading to a redo of the whole piece of framing. No fun.)
So…the back wall was considerably smaller than the left wall, and was done quickly. After letting the liquid nails cure overnight, we raised the second wall:
And that shape is beautiful 🙂 Due to the inevitable bowing of framing wood, we did have a bit of a gap where the two edges met at the top, but thank God..Dan came to save the day! Some strategically placed screws closed the gap enough to secure it with nails.
So…here we are…2 walls up!
We finished framing the third wall, and finally got the large parallam beams (for the top and bottom of the bay wall frame) and the parallam posts (for the sides of the same) in. However, when unloading a 14 foot long 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 square post, I experienced my first semi-serious accident, which will only slow me down for a bit:
So. I broke a bone. HEY. It was bound to happen! I’m building a house, and it’s definitely worth the small injury when considering what I’ll have in the end 🙂 I’m going to rest my wee finger until Thurs or Friday, then I’m going to wrap that thing in a giant ace bandage and go back to work. Next weekend I plan to finish the frame!!
(Hidden benefit of breaking your middle finger: being able to openly flip the bird to anyone you choose without repercussions 😉
See you soon!