Days 5 & 6 – it’s been a while!

So, I’ve kept you waiting. I’m sorry. I had a wedding to attend in St. Louis, MO, and had to put the tiny build on hold for a bit. But we’re back! So, here’s what you missed on days 5 & 6:

I have combined these two hellish days so that you don’t lapse into a coma. Really, it was frustrating work, and I learned (the hard way) some tips that might help you in your own tiny build.

So, it turns out that screwing self-tapping screws into solid steel trailer joists is not the walk in the park that one might have imagined. Nowhere have I encountered any hint of the hell that we were to encounter, and so I will just put the warning out now. A Tumbleweed representative informed me that their trailers, being manufactured by different plants, may have varying steel gauges. We apparently got the super deluxe insanely thick variety, and panic ensued. So…here is what was required, and what we did:

The plans called for a 2 1/2 self-tapping screw every 6 inches along the trailer joists and edges. The edges were hollow – and as I noted before, we just pre-drilled the wood and metal, and the screws were relatively easy to put in. The joists- not so much. With the help of a former airplane builder (THANK YOU DAN!), a grinder, and much swearing, we eventually got (just about) the right amount of screws in.

Image Dan – grinding down the screws that melted (yes. melted.) due to the impact driver and steel on steel action. He’s awesome.

Anyway. The screws were finally finished! We did many happy dances. You’ll notice, by the way, that the plywood is white. This is because I decided to save a bit of dough by laying a subfloor that was not pressure-treated. I was also afraid of the possible problems a chemically treated floor might cause when those chemicals decided to off-gas into a tiny box on wheels. So I instead purchased Kilz, which is a mold/bug/water resistant paint. I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing the water-based Kilz – I got the original type (there are about 10 varieties). The oil based Kilz has a very strong smell. So, we put down the first layer of Kilz (and also did the sides of the plywood along the edges of the fascia) and when we were done screaming at the screws, we put down a second layer. It’s beautiful!

Image < our subfloor is done!!

Days 5 & 6 also included finishing up the fascia inside the porch area, which we left for last. That was purely procrastination, as we were so over dealing with the screws at that point. But…it’s done now! Thanks to me…

Image

…and my tiny partner in crime, Yfke!

Image

Stay tuned! I’m going to catch up on the posts…the sill plate is next, and then, the framing!

Julie

 

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , ,

About wanderingartemis

Full time indecisive grad student, new owner of tiny house trailer, awkward conversationalist, vagabond wannabe, sort-of anarchist, seeker of eternal adventure

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: